Sunday, April 6, 2014

Slate Roof repairs, Painting, Window Progress

What happened since last time: Plumbing is complete and we passed our inspection!
HVAC is still working. They are on spring break. 
Electrical- Levi is doing this and it's almost done. 
What comes next, you ask?

Well, we have to get each of these inspected (plumbing is done, but hvac and electrical have their own inspectors). Then we have to get another construction inspection to make no one cut too much of our framing out and made our structure unstable. Then we can insulate, and then we can put up sheetrock. 

Levi and I were planning on doing a special plaster veneer to emulate the original plaster walls. We found one guy in Paducah who could do this, but it was incredibly expensive. $40 K just for the finish work, say WHAT? So we were back to the drawing board. Levi had signed up for a plaster class up at Yestermorrow in Vermont. It's a really cool design-build school that has short 2-5 days courses on all kinds of topics. (www.yestermorrow.org). However, the plaster class was canceled at the last minute. Levi emailed the school and got the name of the instructor and emailed him. He wrote us right back and agreed to come to Paducah and teach us how to do a plaster veneer in 1 1/2 days. He said its very simple, he uses a mixture of plaster and joint compound on normal sheetrock. No special tools, no drywall finishing. We can even do this after our trim has been installed and there will be no cracks. We can tint the plaster and then we don't have to paint. We are really excited for Buzz to come to Paducah!

In other news, here's whats been going on at the house:

Alonso has been painting the exterior, I can't believe what a difference it makes! We have some minor repairs to do to the front and sides once Levi gets around to it. 



We are almost ready to install the upper front porch windows. I have been cleaning the hardware. I was planning on some gold spray paint, but once I sanded them down I thought they looked kinda cool raw, so I'm spraying some clear polyurethane to prevent rust and calling it a day.




Here you can see the windows with their glass installed, glazing compound applied, and primer + 2 coats of paint. They need to be scraped and cleaned and they're ready!




This is the first of our upstairs large windows installed. It works like a dream. The upper sash lowers and the lower sash raises. They are counterbalanced with the original weights on the original pulleys which Joseph cleaned up for us. Joseph spent many hours fighting with weatherstripping and figuring out how to get this in. I think it looks great! We are very proud of this window. This was originally one of the most damaged windows as it gets most of the weather. 




New zinc weatherstripping, new sash rope, old pulleys with the paint sanded off.



Joseph has also fully completed installing the glass in the kitchen (except for one window) so we almost have a weatherproof house. Almost. 



Today was a beautiful day and Levi decided it was time to repair our slate roof. I have ordered some slate roof tiles on ebay but they were larger than ours. First we had to cut them down to size. Let me rephrase that. First we had to figure out how to cut slate. Then, Levi cut them down to size. Luckily, our friend and brick/tile man Darren kept popping in at just the right time. 





Then we had to figure out how to safely get Levi on the roof without damaging it. You can't walk on slate because the tiles can crack and break too easily. So we duct-taped foam to our ladder. Then we set up 5 levels of scaffolding. Then Levi rigged the bottom of the ladder up to the top of the scaffolding. And just walked right on up. 




I think our roof looks pretty good! I climbed up the scaffolding once to take a look at it. Our guttter on the other hand.... 

Levi: You can see just to the left of the lowest foam a missing shingle. It's now replaced

My view from the flat roof of the back addition. Ok, sorta flat roof. I lasted 2 minutes.



And a PANO version, with my finger, oops. 


Here's my view from the upstairs window. "Everything ok up there?"





This is how to open a beer with a nail gun. Just so you know.

16 comments:

  1. Now this is home improvement! I laughed at the last part. It is funny when people can come up with unusual ideas. http://www.slateroofingrepair.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. All images are looking good. Thanks a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is important to start with an inspection to detect where the leak has occurred. Loose tiles and shingles with tears are largely responsible for constant drips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Effective post for homeowners. Images are looking good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the second time we used United Roofing for the re-roof of a house and garage. Each time it was organized and completed with professionalism and efficiency from when we contacted Bill for a quote, the execution of the project to the time the guy took payment. I would recommend Roofing in a heart beat. Top marks for punctuality, price and quality.
    Bothell Roofing Contractor

    ReplyDelete
  6. The roof looks amazing! My husband wants to refinish our roof with slate. I don't think he knows how to do it on his own. I'm sure he will be hiring someone who offers slate roofing services in Syracuse, NY. http://www.slateroofingrepair.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome place with 2 separate entrances! Bigger than the other 3/4 bedrooms in the area at this price and amazing location! modified bitumen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Then Levi rigged the bottom of the ladder up to the top of the scaffolding. And just walked right on up.
    modified bitumen

    ReplyDelete
  9. My wife and I just moved into a house with slate roofing and, needless to say, it could definitely use some repairs. Unfortunately, I'm a city boy with no construction, maintenance, or repair experience, so I'm kind of in the dark on how to fix it. Should I hire somebody? Is it an easy fix that I could try doing myself? http://www.threeriversroofingpittsburgh.com/Roof-Repair-Pittsburgh-PA.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Levi poked around online and was able to find enough info to do it himself. Im not sure how safe our system was to get him on the roof, though. We did order a book called The Slate Roof Bible that might have some good info for you.

      Delete
  10. I would love to get some slate roofing like this. I need to get some new roofing and slate would look so good on my house. I just don't know where to go to get it done.

    Aaron | http://www.hgnroofing.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  11. I now intend to wait until the weather calms down a bit (I'm in the west country and it seems we have suffered constant gales and torrential rain for the last month). I will keep you apprised as to progress and outcomes.modified bitumen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi this post was in April. Spring in the south is warm, notice we are wearing shorts and t shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for giving such a detailed account of the repairs you did! I've been thinking of doing some repairs on my own slate roof but I wasn't sure how complicated it would be. Your experience gives me hope that I can do it myself! Love your blog! http://customcupola.com/wp/?page_id=121

    ReplyDelete