Saturday, November 23, 2013

Aspirin for the house hangover.

We take pictures at the house. A lot of pictures. We then edit carefully making sure everyone is smiling and looking relatively normal. And then we post this:



But let's face it, the reality is this:

This is my dad, Bill, helping layout our master bath.


My parents came out right after Kurt (whowasborntobeacarpenter) Hicks flew home to enjoy the early season snow in the Northwest. You'll find I'm not on Facebook much these days, and that's because I cry a little every time I see the ski photos flooding the internets. 



The framing is done except for a couple odds and ends. We are already getting ready to wire and plumb.
This is Lauren after our "civil" discussion about where the fixtures go. I was voting for the toilet as the focal point. "We" decided on the clawfoot tub as the focal point.

I haven't done much plumbing and my dad has been intregral to helping me layout and design our plumbing system. Did you know that prior to plumbing a house you have to decide where EVERY toilet, EVERY sink, EVERY tub is going to go? It sounds obvious when you think about it, but we've been so busy just getting to this point we neglected to design our bathing spaces. Did you know, also, that in order to figure out where all those bathy things are going to go you have to have a conversation about it? Did you know those conversations are lengthy and involved? and sometimes you just have to use blue masking tape and mock up the whole bath space and fixtures and walk around and squat and bend over? 

Normally you'd just walk into the framed-in room and work it out. We decided to tear off the whole back of our house and rebuild it, sooooo, no walking through. Fun!

The following phots are what it looks like if you tear the back addition of a house off. Keep your fingers crossed that we get plan approval to put it back up again!


I found some fancyish rafter tails when we started pulling the roof off. Meh.


Getting started.


Somehow looking slightly asian. Our house as a japanese temple?


Halfway.



This is Alonzo. He's a real good worker. 







I know it looks like a tornado hit. The tornado was my biceps.













A clean slate!



1 comment:

  1. a lot of work! much respect! tell us about the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete